Mu Sigma Rho
Mu Sigma Rho is the national honorary society for statistics. The South Carolina Beta Chapter, headquartered at USC, was founded in 1987. Its mission is to promote activities which help in the scholarly development of its members, and contribute to the development of the statistical profession in general. We get together just for fun, sometimes, too!
Some Recent and Past Activities:
- Math/Stat Career Night (with Stat Club and Pi Mu Epsilon) with representatives from UNUM/Colonial Life and Blue Cross/Blue Shield, March 2012.
- Stat/Math Picnic and Canoe Trip at Congaree National Park (with Stat Club and Pi Mu Epsilon), March 2009.
- Statistics Career Night, March 2009.
- Actuarial Career Talk with local actuary Randy Finn, November 2008.
- Haunted House visit, October 2008.
- Pizza Social and Faculty vs. Students Putt-Putt Challenge, March 2008.
- Lights Before Christmas at Riverbanks Zoo, December 2007.
- Statistics Career Night, March 2007.
- Field Trip to South Carolina ASA meeting and tour of Charleston, March 2007.
- Haunted Cornfield Social, November 2006.
- Pizza and Putt-Putt Social (with Stat Club), September 2006.
- ASA Membership Recruiting Session, March 2006.
- Job Search Discussion Forum, March 2006.
- Field Trip to see Christmas Lights at the Zoo, December 2005.
- Pizza and Bowling Social (with Stat Club), September 2005.
- Field Trip to New York City's Joint Statistical Meetings, August 2002.
- Field Trip to Atlanta's Joint Statistical Meetings, August 2001.
- Field Trip to the ENAR regional meeting of the Biometric Society, Charlotte, NC, March 2001.
- Field Trip to Baltimore's Joint Statistical Meetings, August 1999, with College Bowl Competition.
- Field Trip to Chicago's Joint Statistical Meetings, August 1996, with College Bowl Competition.
- Field Trip to Raleigh's Winter ASA meeting, January 1995, with College Bowl competition.
- Sponsored 2 Students to attend the SREB Summer Research Conference, Galveston, Texas, June 1993.
- Trips to Atlanta, New Orleans, Orlando for Winter ASA meetings.
- Initiation parties, picnics, croquet tournaments.
Mu Sigma Rho:
- Have two years of coursework
- Have 8 semester hours of statistics (5 at the 500 Level)
- Have a 3.25 GPA in all statistics courses
- Rank in top 1/3 of your class in overall GPA
- Must be a full-time student
- Have 12 semester hours of graduate level statistics
- Have a 3.5 GPA in graduate coursework
- Good standing in the graduate college
Contact Person: Dr. Dewei Wang
- Membership Fee $5.00 (includes 1st year dues)
- Yearly Dues $2.00
The USC Home Page